Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Argentina

I enjoyed my first visit to Argentina! It was a lot of work to make arrangements for the kids, but well worth it. We so appreciate all those who helped out while I was gone. Thank-you. We had a busier trip that I anticipated, but it was a spiritual and amazing experience. We loved the students from the Living Legends group and were amazed with their talent and expertise, as were the Argentine people. Here's some photos and video clips of their dances and costumes and the country. This is the Buenos Aires Temple, you can see the Argentine flag peaking from behind.


Osvaldo and Maria Celeste Berreneche's daughters, Maria Luz, Maria Marta, and Maria Clara. Jeff and Osvaldo went to graduate school at the University of Arizona in the mid 1990s. He returned to Argentina where he now teaches history at the Universidad Nacional de La Plata.




In La Plata with Hugo and Maria Darias (front left), who Jeff stayed with for many months during his dissertation research, along with their daughter, Isabel, and her husband Daniel.


One of the many dinners provided by local stakes for us on tour. This one is in La Plata.


Kathy's favorite cathedral in La Plata.




The Buenos Aires Temple (you can see the Argentine flag peaking out from behind).





Jeff was right in predicting all these years that I would love the food. I did!!


At the Plaza de Mayo in Buenos Aires, where so many things happened in Argentine history (city founding, fort, formation of first independent government, the Perons, Mothers of the Disappeared, etc.).


One day I was sitting in a theater in Buenos Aires watching the students set up, and I heard this most beautiful sound echoing from some distant place. I followed the sound to a basement stair well and captured some of the beauty. This is a song they sing while doing a Hawaiian dance.


Paraguayan Dance

Tahitian Dance
Argentine Dance

Bolivian Dance


New Zealand Dance


Hawaiian Dance
This is the Maori song they sang as a thank-you to many of the people who hosted us so generously. This was at the Museo de Arte Hispanamericano in Buenos Aires on the last day of the tour.

Aztec Dance. Look at the costumes and imagine the set-up and clean-up that goes in to the production. They had to ship a boat full of costumes over in advance.

Tongan Joseph Smith Laka-Laka Dance (notice first vision and baptism choreography)

Mexican Dance


Native American Dance


A Hawaiian number performed as a thank you for a dinner in Buenos Aires.

The students are dancers at heart, and here they are doing their version of the Bollywood dance at the Republic of Children that Evita built for children's education and enjoyment.




I loved the opportunity to finally travel to Argentina. I was grateful to get to meet so many wonderful people that Jeff has been telling me about for years. But I certainly was happy to be reunited with my kids and it looked like they had grown up a lot.

Timothy and Sarah have fallen in love with the movie Mulan and here's their favorite songs to sing.

2 comments:

The Porter Family said...

I'm so glad you got to go, Kathy! What a great post! Your kids are adorable!

WalkConkies said...

Thanks for sharing some of the neat Argentine experience with us on your fun blog! Drew and Jesi had to watch all the videos with me - so thanks for entertaining us! We loved the fishing and painting too! Thanks again for the yummy b-day cookies, Kathy! See you soon! Oh, and I need to find out where you buy your butcher paper!