Hello to all. This is Jeff writing from Resistencia, Argentina. I have been touring with the BYU dance group, Living Legends, for the last week. It is a group made up of Latinos, Native Americans, and Polynesians who do dances from thoses cultures. I actually went to Paraguay two days early to see the Iguazu Falls, which were magnificent. The group arrived on Wednesday of last week. We started in Asuncion, Paraguay, where we were received by the first lady of the country (we were performing for her charity). We did five shows in Asuncion (including double shows Friday and Saturday). Then on Monday we traveled to Resistencia, Argentina. We arrived very late to our destination because the whole bus was checked twice for any symptoms of flu by doctors at the border and at a nearby hospital. Argentina is very worried about preventing swine flu from entering the country. We finally arrived just in time to eat a big asado (Argentine bbq) last night. Today we met with some native Qom Indians (also known as Toba) and went to a school in the Toba neighborhood. We just finished performing in Resistencia, province of Chaco, in northern Argentina.
It has all been an inspiring experience. The group is wonderful. They connect so well with the people. I can't tell me how many people have come up to me after a performance with the brightest of countenances to express their grattitude for the performances. "Now I can die in peace," said one woman in Asuncion. A T.V. personality from Resistencia, acting as MC, was also very touched by the performance, as were many other community dignitaries.
Tomorrow we are headed to Santa Fe, then on to Cordoba, and Buenos Aires.

The asado that awaited us in Resistencia, Argentina.

Waiting to get checked for the flu in Formosa, Argentina, near the border with Paraguay.

The doctors who checked us at customs at the Paraguayan border.

With Liz Belliard and Stephanie Marquez in their Aztec outfits.

Living Legends finale in Asuncion stake center.

With the first lady of Paraguay (sister of president Lugo, who is a Catholic priest and unmarried,so his sister became first lady).

Me at Iguacu Falls on the Brazilian side. I went to Paraguay two days early so I could see the falls (these were the ones seen in the movie "The Mission.")

The heart of Iguacu falls (actually called "The Devil's Throat). The water was quite low, but it was still spectacular.

The famed dorado of the Parana river, one of the fiercest game fish in fresh water. I only wish I caught this beauty, but it was for sale at a roadside stand so I took a photo of what could have been.

A view of the Parana river from my hotel in Cuidad del Este, Paraguay, where I stayed while going to the falls.
1 comment:
What a small world! Michelle Ampuero is going to marry my nephew in a coupl of weeks! We love Living Legands and hope you have a safe journey home. Great pictures!!
Post a Comment